Welcome to our summary of April best reads on HR trends!
This month, reverse mentoring and forcing employees back to the office were hot topics.
HR Trends for April 2022
Reverse mentorships could be one answer to the digital skills gap
- One organization in the manufacturing industry has recognized the value in providing reverse mentorship to its more senior employees to increase their tenure and ensure their insights are passed down before they retire.
- Redefining how mentorship happens—including who mentors and where—increases opportunities for shared experience and removes the stigma associated with bottom-up learning.
- Only 51% of employed Americans 55+ believe they could do their manager’s job if the position opened versus 77% of those aged 18-54.
- If older employees can allow themselves to be vulnerable and seek help from Gen Z, both generations can benefit.
Employees are reacting unfavorably to being forced back to the office
- Most managers want workers back in the office, while only 12% of workers prefer to be in the office full time.
- Two-thirds of workers would consider leaving their job if forced to return to the office full-time.
- Apple employees have organized to petition for more flexibility on work arrangements. They state that the return to office will negatively affect employees as a result of long commutes, and will also have a negative impact on the diversity of the organization.
- Perhaps employers have forgotten the benefits that they’ve reaped as a result of remote work, including a positive impact on gender equality, increased engagement, and a larger talent pool to recruit from.
- The disparity among who is back in the office isn’t helping matters; only 19% of executives are versus 35% of non-executive employees.
Want to stay in-the-know? For more monthly summaries, weekly articles on HR trends, invitations to webinars, and more, subscribe below!
In every stage of the employee lifecycle, INTOO helps employers protect their brand through effective candidate experience, career development, and outplacement services. Contact us to learn how we can make a difference for you and your employees.