Welcome to our summary of January’s best reads on HR trends!
This month, trending topics in the HR industry included tone-deaf layoff memos, how ChatGPT will affect the future of work, and the potential FTC ban on noncompete agreements.
HR Trends for January 2023
Apologies came too late (if at all) following these flubbed layoff memos.
- Spotify CEO Daniel Ek chose to write about how his own role will improve as a result of organizational changes.
- Similarly, appropriating an MLK quote, PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada focused on self-congratulating herself on how she handled the layoffs, and then announced a promotion.
- On the other hand, CEO of French game company Ubisoft, Yves Giullemot, focused on remaining employees, telling them it was their responsibility to fix the company, saying “the ball is in your court to deliver.” Now, they’re striking.
ChatGPT isn’t necessarily here to take your job, but it might make it easier for you to get and perform one.
- Write a cover letter? Prep for an interview? ChatGPT can help with that. But applicants should use it as a starting point only.
- The next time someone asks you for a raise, they may have used ChatGPT to help negotiate.
- This type of AI could help with productivity by helping with tasks that would otherwise be time-consuming.
- While AI could eliminate the need for some jobs, it could also create new ones. And, sometimes, you just need a human.
A proposed ban on non-compete agreements could make it easier to change jobs and get better pay.
- The broad FTC ban, applying to employers of all sizes, could increase workers’ pay by nearly $300 billion per year.
- This is because such agreements prevent employees from seeking opportunities with other employers, or from having bargaining power for higher wages.
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which believes such a ban could be harmful, says that when used properly, non-compete agreements can help with “fostering innovation and preserving competition.”
- What do workers think about the proposed ban? Here are some responses.
Want to stay in-the-know? For more monthly summaries, weekly articles on HR trends, invitations to webinars, and more, subscribe below!
INTOO helps employers of all sizes with cost-effective solutions for every stage of the employee lifecycle, including candidate experience, career development, and outplacement services. Contact us to learn how we can make a difference for you and your employees.