Welcome to our summary of July’s best reads on HR trends!
This month, hot topics included difficulties hiring and retaining employees during the “great resignation,” how companies will adjust with the return to the office, and what employers can do to keep their workforces engaged.
HR Trends for July 2021
To retain and attract talent, companies are turning to flexible work options and benefits that offer flexibility and autonomy
- Citigroup and other banks are allowing permanent hybrid work, while Microsoft’s offer to allow employees to work from home half the time is seen as a sign of trust in its workforce.
- With “almost 40% of workers” saying they might quit if not allowed to work remotely, employers are looking at other options if that model isn’t available to them, some even considering a four-day workweek.
- Why are some employers aren’t allowing flexible work options? It could be due to psychological biases, which employee surveys and research could prove incorrect.
Those who don’t offer these benefits are falling victim to the “great resignation”
- It’s true, most aren’t quitting due to pay. These workers are actively disengaged.
- For example, some Gen Z women are leaving due to the monotony of their positions—which can also cause them to feel fatigued—to seek ones where they feel more engaged.
- And many are feeling burnout, as employers disregard the wellbeing of their workforce.
There are additional ways to prevent this exodus
- Having a culture of mobility, which gives employees a vision of their future with an organization and motivates them to not only stay, but also to stay engaged.
- Companies like Walmart see the value in developing its workforce. The retailer is offering a free college tuition program to all of its employees.
- Organizations can help by encouraging employees to incorporate their passions into their jobs.
Want to stay in-the-know? For more monthly summaries, weekly articles on HR trends, invitations to webinars, and more, subscribe below!
In every stage of the employee lifecycle, INTOO helps employers protect their brand through effective candidate experience, career mobility, and outplacement services. Contact us to learn how we can make a difference for you and your employees.